The Colosseum
"As long as the Colosseum, there will Rome when the Colosseum falls, Rome will also fall, but when Rome falls, the world will fall"

Trastevere


Trastevere is the XIII district of Rome; lies on the shore west (right bank) of the Tiber River, south of Vatican City. Its name derives from the Latin trans Tiberim (beyond the Tiber), which was also the name of one of Augustan regions.
At the time of the origins of Rome (754-509 BC), the area of Trastevere was a hostile land that belonged to the Etruscans, Rome occupied only able to monitor the river on both sides. Rome did not have interest to extend urbanisticamente on that side, and, in fact, Trastevere was linked to the rest of the city only by a weak wooden bridge, Sublicius.
During Republican, areas near the river populated of those workers who had to do with the river, as sailors and fishermen, and there was a large influx of eastern immigrants, mainly Jews and Syrians.

The consideration of the area as part of the city begins with the Emperor Augustus, which divided the territory of Rome in 14 regions, the current Trastevere was the fourteenth and was named regional transtiberina. However, this region was still outside the city itself, at least up to the Emperor Aurelian (270-275 AD), who made the walls extend to include Trastevere, along Mount Vatican.
In medieval Trastevere had narrow streets, winding and irregular, as well as because of mignani, avancorpi hanging along the facades of houses, there was not enough space for the passage of wagons. At the end of'400 such mignani were demolished, but nevertheless remained Trastevere a labyrinth of lanes.
The streets were not any kind of paving until the end of'400 thanks to Pope Sixtus IV, which made the first paving some roads with bricks made of brick fish spine, then with cobblestones, more suited to the wheels of the wagons . A change came in 1586 with Pope Sixtus V, which fixed the fourteen districts of Rome. In this subdivision Trastevere was the XIII and it was also incorporated the district Borgo.

src="images/trastevere_2.jpg" Thanks to the partial isolation (was beyond the Tiber) and multicultural environment since the time of ancient Rome, people of Trastevere, called Trastevere, were to form almost a given population itself: popolani noting tenacity, pride and genuineness. In addition, women were considered very beautiful, with eyes and very dark hair and beautiful features.
In 1744 Pope Benedict XIV made a revision of the demarcation of districts, giving Trastevere existing borders.
After 1870 the walls were built to stop flooding of the Tiber, which certainly brought greater security at the cost of the destruction of all the places most characteristic that were on shore.
Today Trastevere still maintains its character through the winding streets covered with cobblestones overlooked by medieval housing. The night is filled with people, both Italian and foreign, thanks to the wealth of restaurants and pubs for every price range

"Besides" the Colosseum


il-Colosseo.it S.r.l.
P. IVA: 14810651001
All rights reserved
Cookies policy
Privacy policy