The Colosseum
"As long as the Colosseum, there will Rome when the Colosseum falls, Rome will also fall, but when Rome falls, the world will fall"

Campo de' Fiori


The district of Campo de 'Fiori takes its name from an ancient sea of flowers who came to the banks of the Tiber.
origins fact draw the square as a simple flower meadow where cattle grazed, with houses and towers on one side, close to the ruins of the Theatre of Pompey; the view from the other side of the Tiber naked. The dominated the Orsini, who had taken over the area from the twelfth century, dominating from the Tower Arpacata, that still recognizable near the Palazzo Pio Righetti.

In 1440 the square was paved by Eugenio I and in the sixteenth century it became the center of Rome: We were built numerous hotels, taverns and inns by name pi & ugrave; disparate, "Ship", "Moon", "Angel", "La Scala" and the pi & ugrave; famous of all, the "Locanda della Vacca", located close to the numbers 11-14 of Vicolo del Gallo and managed, in the second decade of the sixteenth century, from Vannozza Caetani, the mistress of Pope Alexander VI and mother of Lucrezia, Cesare, Juan and Jose, all born in this hall, where you can still see the coat of arms of Vannozza.

But the square is not it was only a place of business or pleasure, but also a place of executions: in various prints are clearly visible pole for the rope (to the side of the Orsini palace Righetti) and, opposite, the scaffold. At the center of the square stands the statue of the philosopher Giordano Bruno, burned alive for heresy in 1600 at this point: June 9, 1889, the statue by Ettore Ferrari, was inaugurated in the riot of all professing the "free thinking" . On the sides of the bronze monument can be seen eight medallions with effigies of famous heretics, panels with scenes from the life of the protagonist and meaningful written by Giovanni Bovio: "To Bruno the century he divined, here where the fire burned."
Same point where today stands the statue of Giordano Bruno, was placed there in the past, a fountain, decorated with bronze dolphins, which was later moved, in 1924, the streets of the New Church, to leave more space to market.

the market of Campo de 'Fiori this still with its outdoor benches, the smells and the Roman dialect is the last contact with a vanished Rome, last taste of an unrepeatable atmosphere.
Around the statue of Giordano Bruno, benches, stalls and vans offer cheeses, meats, poultry, fruits, vegetables, household goods and trinkets of all kinds. And, in this atmosphere popular, there are typical characters as the grinder that every morning "ride, for years, operating the grinding wheel for sharpening.

"Further" the Colosseum:   All tickets   |   Attractions in Italy   |   Attractions in Europe | www.La-Cappella-Sistina.it |

il-Colosseo.it S.r.l.
P. IVA: 14810651001
All rights reserved
Cookies policy
Privacy policy